Wednesday, February 6, 2008

First Run in 2008

The PSE Bull Run: Takbo Para sa Ekonomiya which happened last January 27 was my first run for the year 2008. As always, I wasn't prepared. I haven't really been running regularly which I've vowed to do but haven't really been able to. Anyway, I initially wanted to run the 10K but Jon and I agreed that it was best for us to run the 5K instead. Come race day, Jon did not show up. His excuse? He did not hear the alarm that he had set to wake him up. And so I went there alone..

It was still dark when I got to the FORT but there were already alot of runners present. The run did not start on time and it was a bit disorganized. The race course started from NBC tent going towards Lawton Ave. For 5K runners, the U-turn was before the Bonifacio Heights entrance. I started off with a good pace but quickly got tired. I was already gasping for air even before I reached the U-turn. My body was telling me to walk it out but my mind won't allow that. I eventually had to slow down because I would rather finish the race than pass out on the road. I'm not sure of my time but I'm hoping it was under 30 minutes.

I thought running the 5K would be a breeze even if I don't run regularly. I was mistaken! Without enough preparation and exercise, running the 5K was a struggle. And worse is, I got sick 2 days after that run. I now vow not to run unless I am prepared for it. I want to enjoy running and not feel the pain afterwards simply because of lack of training.

I am hoping this experience will provide me the discipline to prepare me for my future runs.

No comments: