Friday, September 7, 2007

Life is short..

I saw a woman collapse on the street yesterday morning around 9:30AM. That was the first time I witnessed that kind of an incident firsthand. She was unconscious and I didn't know what to do. My initial reaction was to ask for help from the Security Guards in the building where I work since I knew she was working in the same building based on her uniform. The guards quickly carried her to her company's clinic and that's the last I've seen of her. I do not know how she is now but I hope she's in a better condition.

After seeing that incident, I couldn't help but think that life is really short. I've always known that fact but it became more real when I saw that woman fell flat on the street for no reason (she was walking, on her way to work). Anyway, it made me realize that our existence in this planet can end in a blink of an eye. But knowing that death can be just around the corner doesn't really scare me. I'm not afraid to die because I know all of us is headed in that direction anyway. I just don't want to die yet because I want to grow old with my wife and see my child grow up, get married and have her own kids. And I know I still have a purpose in life that I haven't fulfilled yet.

Another thing I noticed from that incident is that people are generally good. When that woman collapsed, there were people ready and willing to offer help without expecting anything in return. FX drivers stopped to offer to take her to the hospital, the guards carried and brought her to the clinic. It's at times like these when you see ordinary people go out of their way to help people they don't even know. Somehow I felt bad that I wasn't able to help as much as I wanted to. =(

No comments: