Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Tayo Tayo Rin Sa 2015

Have you heard about MDG? It stands for Millenium Development Goals. It's United Nations' campaign that started in the year 2000 when the world leaders from different countries agreed to set goals that would help end the different problems of the world by 2015.

Specifically, they have set 8 goals and these are:
1. Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
2. Achieve universal primary education
3. Promote gender equality and empower women
4. Reduce child mortality
5. Improve maternal health
6. Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
7. Ensure environmental sustainability
8. Develop a global partnership for development

you can read all about the UN millenium goals in this website -> http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/

In the Philippines, the campaign was launched in 2002 through music. UN in the Philippines worked together with popular Filipino artists and launched an album entitled 'Tayo Tayo Rin Sa 2015 - Sing the Songs. Find your Voice. Change the World. It's your Choice'.

Check the UN Philippines site about MDG here -> http://www.un.org.ph/mdg-preview.html

Why do I know this and why do I care? I heard the song on TV months ago and I immediately liked it. I researched it over the internet and found out that it was UN here in the Philippines' way of informing all the Filipinos about the MDGs. Unfortunately, I don't think it has reached every Filipino. For instance, I only knew about it this year when in fact this was launched 5 years ago. We're almost half-way since the MDGs were launched in 2000 and I am not sure where we are now. Were the goals set achievable in the first place? I believe they are but it needs the help of every Filipino for those goals to be met.

I believe that there is still time to inform the people. I believe that the UN here in the Philippines can still do something so that every Filipino knows that there are these goals and that each and everyone of us can help in our own little way to contribute to the success of achieving these goals by 2015.

So this is my way of letting you know about the MDGs. Now it's your turn to let the others know.

No comments: